I am sharing my top 10 mommy must-haves with a toddler in mind. I don’t know if I could have narrowed this list down when my kids were babies, but now that they are 4 and 2, I think I can. I used to carry everything, but the kitchen sink with me. Although, a kitchen sink would have been nice on several occasions.
- Wipes are a huge must and probably one of our most commonly used items. Aside from their obvious use, we use wipes to wipe faces, clean sticky hands and wipe up spills to name a few. I keep them in my diaper bag, purse, car and just about every room in the house. Our favorite is Kirkland from Costco. I will never quit!
- Fix-it Stick, is an item I had mentioned in my Baby/Kids Skincare post. When the boys have a little scratch, patchy dry skin, a scar, chapped lips, you name it, I use it. It’s all natural ingredients so I know it is totally safe.
- Hand Sanitizer, for obvious reasons. The one that I love is by Honest. Kids touch everything and everyone, so this is an absolute must. I always make sure I have this stuff on hand.
- Comfortable shoes for me. When I am out with my kids we are probably going somewhere where an action-packed adventure is going to take place (like it or not), or because I will most likely take off running after my 2-year old who thinks that running away from me is some sort of a sick joke. There is nothing worse than having uncomfortable shoes when out with your kids. Cute tennis shoes, flats or flip flops can do the job.
- Ready to go snacks. If there is anything I learned, it’s when your kids are hungry, they are hungry NOW and must be fed NOW. This also helps distract them or keep them busy when you need them to be occupied with something. I never leave home without them.
- Coffee maker. Caffeine is my best friend, especially if we had a rough night because someone was sick, had a nightmare, their blanket was not on correctly, they need socks on, they need socks off, they were thirsty, it tasted funny in their mouth or their fingernail was too long. Whatever the special nightly occasion, there is definitely a need for coffee the next day.
- Diaper bag / big bag. I still carry around a diaper bag, but mainly because it doesn’t look like a diaper bag. It has all the right compartments that I need, but without the obvious diaper bag appearance. It also comes with a changing pad…bonus! The one that I use is by Kate Spade and it is very spacious.
- Tandem stroller / Wagon. This stroller has been very handy for us ever since my oldest got too old for strollers and doesn’t want to stay in one for too long. I purchased the Joovy Caboose VaryLight Double Tandem Stroller and it has been perfect for us. It is basically a double stroller; my youngest will sit facing forward and my oldest has the option of sitting or standing. He can easily get in and out. I absolutely love this thing for zoo trips or long walks because he will usually want to start out walking, but then later will want to sit down. It can even stretch out to be longer or pushed in to be shorter, depending on how much room you want to have. If I take it shopping, then I like it looking more compact so it’s easier to navigate around narrow aisles or clothing racks. You can even buy a car seat adaptor and place your baby in it. The wagon is also another great alternative, we really like our Radio Flyer mainly for when the stroller is not convenient.
- This next item is an app that I have discovered, called Keepy. I started using it a while ago, but will be using it again soon. Since Wyatt started preschool, he has been coming home with tons of artwork and projects that he did at school. I’m a proud mom so of course I have been keeping them all, but let’s be honest, eventually that’s going to get out of control and there will be too many. When my second starts school and starts bringing home more art, we will be swimming in projects up to our ears. This app allows you to take pictures of their work and organize them in one place. You can even record cute little videos of them or messages that you can attach to a specific picture or project. You just have to get past the fact that it will all be digital. I’ll still keep the really good ones and nicely throw away those that are not so nice.
- Wine. Let’s not forget about a nice glass of red wine. Usually, by the end of a long day, I am totally exhausted so an occasional glass of wine by the end of the night is a must.
I would love to hear some of your must have items. It was pretty hard narrowing this list down, but these are truly some of my go-to items.